Africa Cup of Nations Final Chaos: Senegalese Detainees in Morocco Begin Hunger Strike
![]() |
| Photo from the final match held last month |
Moroccan Court Sentences 18 Senegalese to Up to a Year in Prison
A Moroccan court has sentenced 18 Senegalese fans to prison terms ranging from three months to a year for their involvement in the riots that marred the Africa Cup of Nations final in January, an AFP correspondent reported Thursday.
The defendants were tried on charges of "rioting," which includes acts of violence, particularly against security forces, damage to sports equipment, pitch invasion, and throwing projectiles.
Eighteen Senegalese fans detained in Morocco following the riots during the Africa Cup of Nations final in mid-January began a hunger strike on Friday, their lawyers told AFP. The defendants said they have been waiting "to be informed of the charges against them" since their arrest on January 18, shortly after the final match between Morocco and Senegal in Rabat.
![]() |
| Chaos erupted after the African Cup of Nations final. |
They complained that the police interrogated them in French and Arabic, while they only understand Wolof, the local language of Senegal, according to a letter received by AFP from their lawyer, Patrick Kabou. They added: "Since they are being denied our right to justice, we have decided, starting today (Friday), to begin a continuous fast, accompanied by prayer and supplication, until the Moroccan justice system gives us the opportunity to express ourselves."
They are being prosecuted on charges of "participating in acts of violence during a sporting event," "forcibly entering a stadium," "damaging sports equipment," "committing violence against public officials," and throwing "solid objects that caused harm to others."
![]() |
| Senegalese detainees in Morocco have gone on hunger strike. |
They appeared before the Rabat Court of First Instance for an initial hearing two weeks ago, which was postponed at the request of their lawyers and the lawyers representing the plaintiffs "to prepare their defense."
The second hearing, scheduled for Thursday, was delayed due to a lawyers' strike. Shortly before the hearing, the Senegalese players and their coach, Pape Thiaw, left the pitch in protest against a penalty awarded to Morocco in the final seconds of stoppage time. They later returned to complete the match, which they won 1-0 after extra time.
Before the end of regulation time in the final, approximately 1,000 Senegalese fans attempted to storm the pitch for nearly 15 minutes before security forces and organizers managed to control them with difficulty. Several fans also threw projectiles onto the field, including at least one seat.
The events of the Africa Cup of Nations final unfolded after a penalty kick was awarded to the Moroccan national team in the final moments, which caused fans to go off the rails and the Senegalese players to leave the field in protest against the decision before they returned and won 1-0 in extra time.



Leave a Comment